You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Forgetfulness

Usually, forgetting something is considered a bad thing. Forgetting where you placed your keys will make you late for work. Forgetting the date of a major battle will affect your test score. Forgetting the date of your spouse's birthday...too horrible to consider.

Forgetting is sometimes a blessing, though. Working with children who have suffered abuse and neglect, and with foster parents who have taken them in, sometimes I wish I could spread a little forgetfulness. I wish I could help the children forget the pain they have suffered or have witnessed. I wish I could help the foster parents forget some of the more minor transgressions of the kids, as a running tally of sins is never good for a relationship. I wish I could forget some of the pain I feel when I see one of my kids hurting.

The only advantage to not forgetting is the opportunity which arises for learning. For my kids to learn how very strong they are and how much they can overcome. For my foster parents to learn the little "imperfections" in their kids, so they can love all that is perfect within the kids even more. For myself to learn how to better help, to better love, and to better serve my families.

So maybe this is why God doesn't make it easy to forget. Forgetfulness--with all the seductive lure of ease--leaves no room for growth in character and wisdom. Plus, it would put the sticky pad makers out of business.

“O sleep, O gentle sleep, nature's soft nurse, how have I frightened thee, that thou no more wilt weigh my eye-lids down and steep my senses in forgetfulness?”



                               ~William Shakespeare

No comments: