You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Saturday, August 6, 2011

Letting Go

In my job, one of the hardest thing I have to do is tell my kids that they have to "Let go."

Letting go of pain and hurt and disappointments. Letting go of fantasies of perfect families and perfect selves. Letting go of all the negative which destroys them from the inside out.

It's one of the hardest things to do to tell someone else to "Let go." It's a thousand times harder to take one's own advice. To let go of old dreams that no longer have a chance of coming true. To let go of hope that only causes one to hurt. To let go of plans that lead you down the wrong road.

Letting go is hard. Necessary at times, but hard nonetheless.

“The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes.”



                                      ~Thomas Hardy


“When I stand before thee at the day's end, thou shalt see my scars and know that I had my wounds and also my healing.”



                                     ~Rabindranath Tagore

No comments: