You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Bizarre

No one can ever accuse my life of being boring. Not when there are just enough bizarre events to keep things interesting.

Take this morning, for instance. I was extremely proud of myself as I was able to sheppard my two offspring onto the school bus and was out the door EARLY (Yes, it was a red letter day.) I walked out into my garage, hit the garage opener, and began walking to my car. I happened to glance down only to see a black lab peering up at me. This was somewhat surprising, since I do not own a black lab.

I had noticed this dog around the previous day, but I had decided he must be a local neighborhood dog. A sweet young boy, Buddy (my name for him) followed me out of the garage. I gave him a quick pat and instructed Buddy to go home. I opened my car door and in jumped Buddy.

I patiently explained to Buddy how I had to go to work and Buddy needed to come out of my car. I followed up my explanation with a gentle tug on Buddy's collar. Buddy promptly left my car like a good boy and promptly re-entered my garage. I then explained to the apparently somewhat dim dog that he could not stay in my garage either.

Taking this correction with a positive attitude, Buddy wagged his tail and appeared perfectly happy. He also appeared very determined not to leave my side as he, yet again, jumped into my car. I finally was able to remove my surprise guest from both my car and garage and pulled out of my driveway. Looking in my rear view mirror, I note that Buddy has begun trotting behind the car.

Do you remember when I said that Buddy appeared a bit dim? As my brother would say, he proved he isn't the brightest bulb in the marquis. As we reached the four-way stop at the entrance of my neighborhood, Buddy began running into the middle of the intersection....in front of cars. I couldn't let the dog commit suicide by stupidity, so I hit my flashers and opened a car door. In jumped Buddy, perfectly content to be in a car with the nice stranger. At this point, I'm no longer as early as I was, but I was still on-time. And, if I had to start a "Bring A Stray to Work Day" to maintain this feat, that was exactly what I would do.

So, Buddy was able to see my office, tour the grounds and help transport a work kiddo to therapy. We then took a quick trip to the local humane society where displaced animals from the tornado (which I finally concluded Buddy was) were being dropped off. After filling out paperwork and giving Buddy one last head rub, I was able to leave the sweet boy in good hands. Hopefully, Buddy will soon be reunited with his family; and since it was discovered he has a microchip with his owner's information on it, that may just happen!


     “Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.”

No comments: