You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, May 2, 2011

What's Really Important

This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions for me, and it has certainly brought life into sharp focus.

First, we had the tornado. THE tornado. I haven't heard the latest information, but it looks like the monster that hit Tuscaloosa will be rated an EF4 or EF5. Alabama has already had another tornado rated as an EF5, and these two were only one of many that hit our state this past Wednesday. Too many people died. Hundreds more remain missing. Rumor has it that the death toll in Tuscaloosa will reach 1,000 before everything is said and done.

BUT...my family was spared. My friends are alive, although many suffered property loss. My work kiddos and foster parents are all accounted for and unharmed. And, some very happy news, I was told last night my missing friend is unharmed. (May I just state that I LOVE Facebook! If you send enough emails to random friends of a friend, someone will eventually answer you.) This tragedy has helped me to appreciate even more the life my Lord has given me, and all of the wonderful people that make my life so wonderful.

So, with the tornado's tragedy as a backdrop,  I traveled across state to participate in my baby brother's wedding. As happy of an event as this was, it also came with the normal wedding stressors. But all stress was worth it when I watched my new sister walk down the aisle and seeing my brother's face light up. Spending time with my new family members (Yep! I've adopted my sister-in-laws entire family. They are too wonderful not too!) and watching my babies perform their wedding duties with grace and ease, it made me practically burst with happiness. Being able to see my wonderful baby brother marry his love made me appreciate all the love I have in my own life.

Then, today, my children proved to me, yet again, how truly amazing they are. My son asked me several times if he could volunteer with the tornado clean up. So, after striking out at the first place where we attempted to volunteer (I love it when I'm turned away because a place has too many volunteers.), we ended up at a local charity where we helped sort through the toys which were being donated. Other volunteers were sorting clothes, home items, baby items, food, etc. To see the amount of items in this large warehouse, and the number of cars lining up to drop off items, made me very proud of my community. I felt even more pride when, after asking my children if they were ready to go after two hours, my daughter looked at me and said, "Please mom, can we stay longer?" At that moment, I appreciated the fact my children were able to witness and experience compassion.

Life, love and compassion. That's what's really important.

“I have been asked on hundreds of times in my life why God allows tragedy and suffering. I have to confess that I really do not know the answer totally, even to my own satisfaction. I have to accept, by faith, that God is sovereign, and He is a God of love and mercy and compassion in the midst of suffering.”



                                          ~Billy Graham

No comments: