You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Scene of the Crime

A brutal murder took place in my home today. At the crime scene there were obvious signs of struggle. Bedding strewn on the floor. Pieces of furniture broken. But no body. It had been moved from the original point of assault.

My son found the body lying on the living room floor. Cutie Pie the hamster had a large hole in her side. I would say rigamortis had set in, but I honestly did not examine the creature that closely. I was too busy thinking up the happy lie with which to shield my daughter from the truth as to what happened to her new pet. That, and I was attempting to profile which of my felines had turned criminal on me. (My  instincts tell me that it was the one with the Cheshire-like grin on her face sporting the "Whatcha gonna do about it?" attitude.)

May you rest in peace Cutie Pie.

“It's easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it.” 
                                             ~P. J. O'Rourke