You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, December 13, 2010

In a Hurry

There is a song by the band Alabama called "I'm in a Hurry (and I Don't Know Why.) It first came out when I was in college, and I remember cranking the radio up at work to listen to it. During that time, I just knew I had the craziest schedule between classes and my part-time job. I really wish I could go back in time and Gibbs-slap myself.

Each year I think things will calm down, or I'd at least become more organized. Nah! Things to do and places to be just seem to multiply, and my organizational skills just never seem to catch up. I could let this make me crazy. Instead, I try to remember a few facts.

1) All housework will be there tomorrow. If my babies need me, they will have me, laundry be damned.
2) Tomorrow really is another day. Short of the trumpets blaring and angels descending, there always will be additional time to accomplish most of what I want to do.
3) God first, family second, work third. If everything stays in this order, I should be good to go.
4) Life is a gift meant to be enjoyed. I won't foolishly waste this gift being stressed 24/7.

There ARE times when I forget these simple facts. But, luckily, I've become really good at mentally Gibbs- slapping myself back to reality!

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really got to do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.
                ~Alabama

No comments: