You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Friday, December 31, 2010

A Year of Change

2010 is almost gone, and I have taken part in all the "must do's" on this New Year's Eve. I've watched a movie with my babies; I've sipped pink champagne; and I've set off fireworks (and managed not to burn the house down or blow off a limb!)

It's been a very eventful year. Some parts were really, really bad. Others were really, really good. There were days when all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball in bed and not move for a month. There were other days that nothing short of the end of the world would have caused me to come down off my high.

All of these events led to some significant changes in me and my life. I'm stronger now than I was in January. Gaining this strength was not easy or painless. I coped with significant losses that, honestly, I did not feel I would ever be able to overcome. And, keeping in the honest mode, I haven't yet fully healed from some of the wounds I received during 2010.

But--and this is where you might consider me insane--I'm glad. I'm glad for the hurt, because it means I know what it is to feel. I'm glad for the losses, because I'm now free to start anew. I'm glad for the really, really bad days, because I'm able to truly appreciate the really, really good ones.

2011 is quickly approaching, and, although I'll have the list of New Year's resolutions like most everyone else, that won't be my focus for the new year. My focus will be on those I love--my Lord, my babies, my family and my friends--and on my new reality. My life is my life. My mistakes are my mistakes. My triumphs are my triumphs.

It's up to me now, so look out 2011!

“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”



                                           ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

No comments: