You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, February 21, 2011

It's My Party...

I threw myself a party this weekend. Granted, it was a pity party, so it wasn't that much fun, but at least I did it up right!

I guess it was just one of those crazy combination of too little sleep, too much running, and an inability for my coffee supply to keep up. It just seemed that the gnawing feeling of missing something important wouldn't go away, no matter how many happy thoughts I thought or how many blessings I counted.

So, I cried. A good, long, loud cry. (Okay, relatively loud since the kids were sleeping.) It's amazing how much a good cry helps me. Most of my female friends understand this. My male friends, not so much.

The good news about long cries, they tend to help ease the tension caused by all the bad feelings building inside of you. (Think of slowly releasing the cap off of a bottle of soda after the drink has been shaken up.) The bad news about long cries, sometimes the tension that had filled you was all that was making you feel whole. After the long cry, you can sometimes feel empty and spent.

This is where it is good to remember that, as empty as you feel at times, the feeling will eventually pass. And, even as you are crying, it is good to remember that,  someday, very soon, you'll be smiling again.

"I want to be remembered as the girl who always smiles even when her heart is broken, and the one that could always brighten up your day even if she couldn't brighten her own.”

No comments: