You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, November 8, 2010

Blaming the Boogie Man

When I was a child, I had a recurring nightmare. In my dream, gorillas would chase me and the Flintstones around the jungle until, eventually, I would fall off a cliff. I hated that dream, and, by proxy, I hated gorillas. My boogie men.

I no longer have the nightmare, and I no longer fear gorillas. But, as an adult, I've had other boogie men in my life. People or situations that scared me or made me feel weak. And, I admit, there were times when I chose to blame the "boogie man" for the different problems in my life.

Here's the reality of the situation, though: No one or nothing can make you feel scared or weak unless you let them. And, if you have problems in your life, most likely the biggest boogie man to blame is staring back at you in the mirror. For, it is ALWAYS your decision as to how to conduct yourself, and you must look at how your behaviors or decisions contributed to a bad situation. If you choose not to do so, but instead, lay the blame for all your worries and troubles at the feet of the "evil one" in your life, you are taking the way of the coward. It takes a courageous person to face one's own shortcomings and to make the effort to change. Only then will the damage created by your inner boogie man begin to heal.


“Face your fears and doubts, and new worlds will open to you.”

                                                            ~Robert Kiyosaki

 

No comments: