You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rebellion in the Ranks

I have a rebellion on my hands.

My children have decided that A) school is dumb, and B) they want to be home schooled.  Now, most of the time, I can counter the arguments for both A and B with ease. But, there are times when I just have to think...hmmm.

For instance, my son keeps wondering why you have to continue learning the same information from year to year to year. It didn't help his attitude when our 9th grade neighbor and my son began discussing science. Each were learning the same information and had tests on the same vocabulary words. This caused my son to complain that he gets bored and wants to learn new information. How in the world do you argue with that?!

Then there's my daughter. She has launched a more emotion-based attack. She wants to know why we can't all just learn from our parents, "like Adam and Eve taught their children." In this way, she would be able to spend so much more time with me. I rejected the first answer that popped into my head, "Because Adam and Eve's son killed his brother! You would kill your brother, too, if you were home with him every day!" I didn't feel this was exactly the route I should take.

So, I now have a rebellion to quell--lovingly, of course. My first offensive maneuver will be at 0600 hours when I try to get them out of bed to go to school. God (and coffee) be with me!

We don't need no education
we don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave the kids alone
Hey teacher leaves the kids alone
All in all its just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

~Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall"

No comments: