You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, November 22, 2010

A Letter to John Smith

Dear Mr. Smith,


I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. I understand that you have recently been plagued with a series of health issues, and I know this must be trying for you as you are known to suffer silently, not wishing to burden others with your hardships.

The reason for this letter is two-fold: 1) I wished to acknowledge your previous correspondence with me earlier this year as well as your dedication to following this blog, and 2) to express to you some concerns that I have regarding your partnership.

As you know, I met your partner several years ago and had the privilege of conversing with him about various subjects during that time. Although I have not spoken to him in months, I do believe that I can still shed some light on the problems that your partnership has recently endured.

Through conversations with your partner, it became obvious that the problems that developed early on were not due to any outside variables. Most of the problems, from my understanding, had been developing and intensifying for several years prior to any stressors outside the partnership. Then—and please forgive me if I am mistaken on this part as this information was gleaned from your partner—you had thoughts of ending the partnership on more than one occasion, going as far as having several serious discussions with another individual about starting a different partnership. You ended up choosing to remain with your current partner, although you continued to express extreme discontent and disappointment in him, further eroding the partnership.

I know that, since that time, you have begun expressing a deep appreciation for your partner and for the clear benefits your partner brings to you and your operation. Having said that, I wish to express my concern that your appreciation of your partner only developed after he had chosen to look into creating his own establishment. Will your appreciation again fade if you feel your partner no longer has other options available to him? I pray this is not the case.

It is my sincere hope that you and your partner are able to repair your relationship, as I know your organization serves some wonderful clients who count on you both daily. I also know that your partner wishes to mend the partnership, and, for this reason, I fully support the decision. May your partnership be long and successful union.

Sincerely,

The Boogie Man

"At some point in time, a business decision will have to be made. My concern is that business decisions affect people.”



                                         ~Michael Clements

No comments: