You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, January 3, 2011

Just Like Old Times

Yesterday I talked to a life-long friend of mine. For two hours. About absolutely nothing and about absolutely everything.

My friend and I hadn't actually spoken in a couple of years. There had been the exchange of Christmas cards and a few Facebook "Hey!" messages, but not a real conversation. Then, yesterday, we started talking, and it was like we had never stopped.

Granted, I had a lot to catch her up on (divorce) and she me (She became a runner. WHAT THE HECK!!!); but then we just started talking. How her folks were, how my folks were. Congrats to my brother regarding his upcoming nuptials. How big her kids have gotten. In-laws, old school friends, work, the momma taxi--you name it, we talked about it. It felt like the afternoons spent in the yearbook room after school; except now we weren't talking crushes and tests and teachers, but kids and houses and... okay, teachers, but our kids' teachers.

When I hung up the phone, I realized how much I had missed my friend, and I swore to myself I wouldn't let another two months go by without talking to her. But it was comforting for me to know that, no matter how much my life changes or how much time passes, I will always have someone to help me make it just like old times.

"Happiness is time spent with a friend and looking forward to sharing time with them again."



                                           ~ Lee Wilkinson

No comments: