You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Wings

Someone once told me that, a person who's been through a divorce is like a bird that has a broken wing. The bird may be able to survive, but it will never soar again. This statement may be true for some, but I don't think it applies in my situation.

Sticking with the animal planet metaphors, I really feel that my situation fits more with the caterpillar to butterfly scenario. I lived my life, plugging along and making do in this world. Then I closed up into myself, withdrawing from everyone and everything, willing myself to heal. Now I've grown new wings, and I'm ready to soar!

The funny thing is, soaring to me doesn't mean going to exotic places or being wild and crazy on the weekends. Soaring to me is being able to enjoy giving myself to those I love without any inhibitions. Soaring is feeling like I can be myself and this will not make others unhappy. Soaring is just being able to be home and be content and at peace.

Yep, I'm definitely more the butterfly type.

Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time.


                                           ~Deborah Chaskin

No comments: