You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, March 14, 2011

Family

I love family. I love the different personalities and eccenticetries that everyone brings to the table. Having a family gathering is kinda like going to the cupboard and throwing a bunch of ingredients together and coming up with a dish. Everytime there will be a surprise, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

But what is family? I know I have some people that are technically my family, but I wouldn't know them (and, honestly, probably wouldn't claim them if I did) if they walked by me on the street. Then, I have friends that make me understand the old saying, "Friends are God's way of apologizing for family." These are the men and women that make my life a joy to live.

And, recently, I've discovered a whole new catagory of family-- the "ex" zone. Time and again I'm coming across situations that reaffirm to me that my divorce hasn't been the "typical" breed of divorce. My ex spends the night at my parents' house during hunting season; my nieces by marriage are my nieces from now until eternity; and, today, my ex-sister-in-law's husband and his nephew came out to visit with me and my parents. Like I said, not "typical" behavior.

So, how do I explain all of this strange behavior? It's simple. They're family, and I love them. No marriage license required.

To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.

                                               ~Barbara Bush

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.



                                               ~Jane Howard

No comments: