You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Smells

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend tonight. We were discussing how people smell. (It's a very long story to explain how we got into this conversation, so I ask that you just go with it.)

It got me to thinking, what are my favorite smells? New baby ranks up there. Also chocolate chip cookies, new cars, and puppy breath. But, I think one of my absolute favorite smells in the whole world is my daddy's shop. That mixture of dirt and oil with just a touch of diesel. It's probably one of the best smells in this world.

Now, if my dad was a jerk, I probably would have a completely different reaction to that smell. But he's not. One of the most loving, intelligent and funny guys walking the planet, he has always let me know that I'm his little girl. And, although we haven't always seen eye-to-eye, I've never doubted his love for me. I just hope I have never caused him to doubt how very much I love him.

So, as odd as it may sound, the mixed up smells of dirt, oil and diesel will always arouse feelings of love in me. If I ever find a man who smells like that, I just might fall in love with him.

“Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.”



                                      ~Helen Keller

1 comment:

Robin said...

I agree wholeheartedly! The smell of a shop is one of my favorite smells too. And the smell of fresh bread at Hackberry & 15th :)