You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, March 14, 2011

Sacrificial Love

There are days when I wonder if evil has taken over this world. I see the pain caused by parents harming their children, strangers willing to take advantage of those less fortunate to get ahead, and just the random acts of violence that seem to be becoming more and more common place. But, as awful as this world can seem at times, the sacrificial love I see daily by others makes me believe that God's world is still a beautiful place.

I've watched as a granddaughter works diligently to make life easier for all her family members as they deal with a crisis involving their mother and grandmother.  I've watched as a single mom works two jobs in order to make her childrens' lives a little bit easier. I've watched as a young soldier deploys overseas, leaving family and friends behind, in order to protect that which he loves the most.

All of the above sacrifices were not done out of necessity. These sacrifices were made out of love. And, because of just such love, there remains beauty in God's world.

"True and sacrificial love is giving up your happiness and comfort, over and beyond your own, just to consider the needs of another person."

No comments: