You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Monday, March 7, 2011

Practice What You Preach

As all of my kiddos know--biological and work--Ms. Christie has some standard sermons that they often hear. Now, I wish I could say that I always follow my own advice. I'd be lying if I said I did, though.

So, here are some of the pearls of wisdom I have the hardest time following myself:

1) You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.

Now, I really, really, really try to follow this one. And, most of the time, I do a pretty good job at it. But, I must admit, there are a few people who can make me wish I was proficient in voodoo curses. I let these people get to me, making me angry or frustrated or depressed. Luckily, I have amazing friends who can help me work through all the negative emotions that some people arouse in me, allowing me to wait on the voodoo classes.

2) Try to put yourself into the other person's shoes.

I'm usually good at this one. There are times, though, if I feel someone is REALLY wrong, that I just can't figure out what the heck he or she is thinking. As such, I just figure the shoes wouldn't fit and move on with my life.

3) People can't read your mind. You have to speak up and let other's know what you are thinking.

I have to admit, I'm not that great with this one. I've gotten better with age, but I still will keep my mouth shut at times when I probably should speak up. This is especially true with those that I love, as I always want to make them happy. I'm learning, though, that I don't have to sit quietly and be miserable for those I love to be happy.

4) Everyone makes mistakes. Just be sure you learn from your mistakes.

I still need to work on this one to which my love life will attest!


The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.

                                                 
                                                   ~ Oscar Wilde

No comments: