You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Saturday, October 16, 2010

Courage and Perseverance

My son the other day informed me that he had "persevered" over the hardship of having a losing football season. I have to be honest--I really wasn't sure whether I should laugh or cry. Finally, I decided to do neither. For my son, this was a big deal, even though it seemed minor to me.

It's seems to be human nature to "rate" the challenges others are experiencing. It's easy to do. For example, on a scale of 1 to 10, someone losing a loved one rates anywhere between an 8 to 10. Someone losing a beloved pet--more along the lines of a 3 to 5.

But rating some one's challenges is not fair. Each person's situation is different, and, unless you are that person, you don't know all the variables affecting him or her. 

What should be rated is the level of courage and perseverance a person shows in the face of challenges. Because, if a person faces a challenge instead of hiding from it; if he or she decides not to allow the challenge to devastate him or her; and if the individual continues to believe in their ability to survive the challenge, then that person has shown himself or herself to be a person of strong character.

So, Bubba, I'm proud of you!

“Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.”



                                      John Quincy Adams

No comments: