You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Curse of the "Need to Know" Gene

You know that age-old, world famous curse that all parents place on their children at some point in time? The one that goes something like, "I hope you have a child just like you!"? Well, apparently, unbeknownest to me, my parents uttered this curse.

My son is a curious, need-to-know-all-things, type young man. He's incredibly intelligent, and, there are times when this can be very inconvenient for me. Well, him being very intelligent as well as having the tenacity of a rabid pit bull.

My son wants to know all the details surrounding the events that are taking place in our family at this time. Now, I've answered questions, his dad has answered questions, his school counselor has answered questions. He has received answers from everyone he has asked.

The problem is, he doesn't want the answers he is given. So, he keeps asking and keeps asking and keeps asking.

If I knew the answer that would make it all better for him, I would give it in a heartbeat. But there is no magic answer, just as there is no magic wand.

So, I pray for him, I tell him I love him, I hold him close (when he lets me), and I pray some more. And I hope that a dormant "I'm okay with what I know right now" gene activates sometime soon.

“Children are remarkable for their intelligence and ardor, for their curiosity, their intolerance of shams, the clarity and ruthlessness of their vision.”



                                               ~Aldous Huxley

No comments: