You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Sunday, October 3, 2010

Doubting Thomas

Today, I would like to put forth an energetic defense of Thomas, aka Doubting Thomas, for, well, doubting.  I put forth this defense, because, to be quite honest, I wish I was a little more like him.

See, Thomas needed to see and feel the wounds of the man he loved and adored and who was brutally executed. He doubted that, after suffering such a brutal death, the man who was murdered had actually come back to life.

Now, everyone uses Thomas as an example of what not to do. But, as a person who doesn't doubt enough, I have to say I admire his clear head during his obvious grief. Where the other followers were ecstatic at word of the resurrection, Thomas wanted proof.

Please understand, I'm not saying the resurrection did not happen or that miracles are a myth. What I am saying, is that some people have trouble doubting the words of others when what they are being told corresponds with their greatest desire. Often, this causes a blindness to the facts, which, in the long run, usually causes someone a great deal of pain.

So, here's to Thomas. Although he may have chosen the wrong time to doubt, his instincts were good.


“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”



                                                             Bertrand Russell

No comments: