You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bad Habits

I'm making a confession.  I have not walked today and will not do so. I drove 140 miles today for my job and another 60 for my kids. I'm done. I'm pooped. I'm tired. 

So, instead of walking, I'm doing the next best thing--picking up bad- for- you food from McDonald's and renting a movie to veg to. Besides, I've been good for two whole days in a row. I'm entitled to a break, right?

And there you have it. The Queen of Justification has made her declaration. I've exhibited a good habit, so I'm allowed to enjoy a couple of bad ones. It's the same thought process I use when I purchase a Butterfinger and a Diet Dr. Pepper. One cancels out the other, so it's all good. 

I guess when I look at my life, I have a lot of bad habits that I tend to fall into when I'm stressed or sad or hot or cold or when someone looks at me cross-eyed-- all of which I can justify in a heart beat. I don't sleep enough, so I really need the 12 cups of coffee the next day. I talk too much on the phone with my friends, but at least I don't need to pay for a therapist. I forget to water my rather expensive plants, but I always remember to feed my kids.

See! I'm pretty good at this justification thing. The problem is, I know I'm making excuses. This knowledge really makes it hard for me to engage in my bad habits with a clean conscience.

So, although I make no promises to remain bad habit free from this point forward, I will attempt to engage in my bad habits less frequently.

Starting tomorrow. I'm not wasting my Micky D's and movie!

No comments: