You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Penny

See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.

I picked up a penny today during my walk.  Silly, childish, and more than a little bit absurd. Absurd not  because I picked up a penny, but the little glimmer of hope that it sparked in me. The thought that, maybe, just maybe, it would bring me good luck.

It's the same principal as when I kiss the clasp of my necklace when it moves to the front, which I have done faithfully since 6th grade. It was in 6th grade I was told that, when your clasp moves around to the front, the person you love is thinking of you. To kiss the clasp is to kiss the one you love. So, I kiss the clasp of my necklace with a twinge of hope that the person I love is really thinking of me.

Hope.  It's the emotion that keeps me going some days. With hope, there is always a possibility of something more. A possibility that today will be a little bit better than the one before.

So, I know I will continue picking up pennies, kissing necklace clasps, and, I'm sure, wishing on more than a few stars in the years to come, no matter how silly, childish or absurd it may seem. You know, just in case.

“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”

                                        Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments: