You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Sunday, August 8, 2010

No Regrets

I have a few regrets in my life. Dating a guy that looked a lot like Tom Petty but without the talent or the money (and who wasn't a good boyfriend.) Breaking down and sobbing at a job after I was laid off. Not crying the day my grandfather died.  Ectera, ectera, ectera.

I don't like regrets, so I tend to go overboard to avoid situations which might lead to regret.  There are times, though, where I just can't avoid those situations. More accurately, I realize I would regret more not having taken part in something, even when I know it's going to hurt me afterwards.

It's like when my friend asked me to participate in a half marathon with her.  I'm not a runner. Personally, unless someone is wearing a mask and chasing me with an ax, I see no reason to break into a run.  But, I knew that, no matter what pain I might experience afterwards (And believe me, there was some!), I would regret not taking part in what turned out to be a wonderful experience.

I've also had times in my life where I've opened myself up to others when, in my heart, I knew the probable outcome would be me ending up hurt. But, I don't regret those times, either, even when left hurting. I would have missed out on the amazing if I had turned away from different relationships.

While walking the other day, I started to wonder what I would do if I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Would I close up into myself, avoiding regrets and any further pain as I fought the disease? Or would I go to the other extreme, trying anything and everything just so I knew I had lived my life to the fullest?

I don't know. Guess that's something else to think about during my walks.

No comments: