You can't control how others act. You can control how you react.



Sunday, August 15, 2010

Soundtracks

I like listening to music while I walk. My taste in music is what one would call eclectic. One minute I'll listen to Uncle Kracker, the next, Beethoven.  What I have noticed about my listening habits is this-- what I listen to depends on how I'm feeling that day. Kinda like a movie soundtrack except just for me.

Some days I'm in a Pink sort of a mood:


"Don't Let Me Get Me" (excerpt)

Doctor, doctor won't you please prescribe
somethin
A day in the life of someone else?
Cuz I'm a hazard to myself


Don't let me get me
I'm my own worst enemy
Its bad when you annoy yourself
So irritating
Don't wanna be my friend no more
I wanna be somebody else
 
 
Other days, I'm pure Sugarland:
 

"Something More" (excerpt)
 
Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate

I believe that happiness is something we create
You best believe that I'm not gonna wait
'Cause there's gotta be something more


And then there are the days I need some Lady Antebellum:



"One Day You Will" (excerpt)
 
But down the road the sun is shining

In every cloud there's a silver lining
Just keep holding on (just keep holding on)
And every heartache makes you stronger
But it won't be much longer
You'll find love, you'll find peace
And the you you're meant to be
I know right now that's not the way you feel
But one day you will


But, some of my favorite soundtrack days are when I decide to listen to a little Jaron and the Long Road to Love:


"Pray For You"

I haven't been to church since I don't remember when
Things were goin' great 'til they fell apart again
So I listened to the preacher as he told me what to do
He said you can't go hatin' others who have done wrong to you
Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn
Let the good Lord do His job and you just pray for them
I pray your brakes go out runnin' down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I'd like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flyin' high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are honey, I pray for you

I'm really glad I found my way to church
'Cause I'm already feelin' better and I thank God for the words
Yeah I'm goin' take the high road
And do what the preacher told me to do
You keep messin' up and I'll keep prayin' for you
I pray your tire blows out at 110
I pray you pass out drunk with your best friend and wake up with his and her tattoos

I pray your brakes go out runnin' down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I'd like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flyin' high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are, near or far, in your house or in your car,
wherever you are honey, I pray for you.

I pray for you

Music can be very cathartic!


Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo











1 comment:

Robin M. said...

I agree with Pink, always gets me going. And I love the Pray for you song-it's one of my new favorites. Here's some others I use to get going in the mornings, when pissed at the world or when working out:

"It's My Life" Bon Jovi
"Lose Yourself" Eminem
"I Hate my Life" Theory of a Deadman
"Fighter" Christina Aguilera
"Born to Boogie" Hank Jr.
"Highway to Hell" AC/DC
"Callin Baton Rouge" Garth Brooks
"I Don't Wanna Be" Gavin DeGraw
"Pain" Jimmy Eat World
"Undo It" Carrie Underwood
"Some Days You Gotta Dance" Dixie Chicks
"Numb" Linkin Park
"Give Me Some Lovin'" The Spencer Davis Group
"Dead and Gone" T.I.

Guess mine's pretty eclectic too :)